Par kluseba le 23 Mars 2020 à 09:43
Shades of Grey
In order to celebrate its twentieth anniversary, renowned German metal label Nuclear Blast asked Swedish bassist, guitarist and keyboarder Peter Wichers of Soilwork fame to write a record consisting of ten songs focusing on melodic death and thrash metal. Each track features a singer of a different band that was signed by the label back then. The final result obviously couldn't be a perfectly consistent affair and sounds like a compilation. While this release certainly has more ups than downs and deserves some attention, praise and recognition, it isn't as balanced, creative and profound as the simultaneously release Into the Light that focused on the label's gothic, heavy and power metal sounds.
Instead of developing a coherent sound, flow or concept, the songs on this album sound a lot like the bands of the different singers featured here. The concise, focused and melodic ''Schizo'' featuring Peter Tägtgren could easily be a solid candidate for a Hypocrisy single for instance.
The atmospheric, epic and powerful ''The Dawn of All'' featuring Björn Strid has a wonderful melancholic, melodic and modern touch that would actually foreshadow Soilwork's future releases.
''My Name is Fate'' featuring Death Angel's Mark Osegueda is one of the few tunes exploring thrash metal territories but with a modern sound that actually isn't too far away from the melodic death metal material that dominates this album. The song stands out but still manages to fit in. This underlines Peter Wichers songwriting skills best on this output.
''The Guilded Dagger'' features the two singers of Sonic Syndicate and is the best song in terms of combining sorrowful guitar melodies and mournful clean vocals on one side with powerful riffs and guttural screams on the other side.
Despite adopting the sounds of the bands of the featured singers, this album mostly succeeds because many of these bands sound quite similar in style. This only proves that most melodic death metal bands fail to push the boundaries. It's difficult to blame them however since the bands that tend to experiment regularly get criticized in disrespectful ways. As for Out of the Dark, it isn't as imaginative as Into the Light but should still satisfy genre fans. While the release doesn't include any stinkers, most tracks are of an average quality with only a few good tunes. The limited edition includes a second disc featuring ten rare and unreleased tracks of bands that were signed by Nuclear Blast back in the days. Collectors, fans and newcomers might actually discover more hidden gems on the second disc that really rates this output up than on the actual main release itself.
Final rating: 65%
More Light than Dark
In order to celebrate its twentieth anniversary, renowned German metal label Nuclear Blast asked Rage guitarist Victor Smolski to write a record consisting of ten songs focusing on power and heavy metal. Each track features a singer of a different band that was signed by the label back then. The final result obviously couldn't be a perfectly consistent affair and sounds like a compilation but this release certainly has more ups than downs and deserves some attention, praise and recognition.
The first highlight on this album is the mid-paced symphonic power metal epic ''Death Is Alive'' featuring a versatile Mats Levén on lead vocals and an often underrated Jen Majura on backing vocals.
''Slaves to the Desert'' features inspired oriental soundscapes and is crowned by Hansi Kürsch's soulful vocals that entertain throughout seven minutes.
''Eternally'' is the record's slow, progressive and moody tune. It features one of Oddleif Stensland's most inspired performances. The track might need some time to grow but has perhaps the biggest potential here thanks to its creative depth.
''Inner Sanctuary'' featuring Marco Hietala contrasts the previous song with energetic riffs and a simple but efficient chorus. The melodic and almost danceable guitar sounds are complemented by gothic rock inspired piano melodies. The song finds a surprising balance between gothic, heavy and power metal that represents the entire release very well. This would have been the perfect candidate for a single..
The record's longest tune ''In the Picture'' is the best song Nightwish has never written and offers a highly atmospheric conclusion to the record. The song takes two and a half minutes to build up an almost cinematic atmosphere with creative instrumental passages. Once these vibes have been established, Tarja Turunen can fully unfold her skillful vocals that sound much more diversified than usual.
Not every song on this release leaves a deeper impression but this album doesn't include any stinker. Half of the songs are good average tunes while the other half is very good. The mixture of gothic, heavy and power metal throughout the album sounds perfectly balanced. The album has overall solid flow that underlines Victor Smolski's remarkable songwriting talent. In hindsight, this release portrays very well what commercial melodic metal sounded like in the early years of the new millennium. If you haven't listened to this album yet, you might actually discover some hidden gems featuring some of your favourite musicians and singers. The special edition features a second disc with a balanced mixture of popular and rare tunes from some of Nuclear Blast's bands back in the days.
Final rating: 80%
Please note that the album titles ''Out of the Dark'' and ''Into the Light'' are inspired by this wonderful song by late Austrian singer and rapper Falco:
Par kluseba le 22 Mars 2020 à 00:43
Ladies and gentlemen!
Here is the final in a long series of playlists I have been creating over the past week. This playlist focuses on quirky, entertaining and creative female k-pop artists and bands. Even I managed to get to know some new music while creating this playlist. It's a nice change from my usual oldies and metal playlists. I really appreciate this genre's airy, danceable and lighthearted vibes in times like these. Enjoy!
1. Dreamcatcher - Breaking Out
2. Everglow - Salute
3. Apink - Everybody Ready?
4. Twice - Dance the Night Away
5. Loona - Hi High
6. Red Velvet - Psycho
7. f(x) - 4 Walls
8, Girls' Generation - Paparazzi
9. Wonder Girls - Why So Lonely?
10. Momoland - Baam
11. Six Bomb - Wait Ten Years, Baby
12. Sistar - I Like That
13. Crayon Pop - Bar Bar Bar
14. CocoSori - Dark Circle
15. Dalshabet - Joker
16. HyunA - Flower Shower
17. Blackpink - Kill This Love
18. Oh My Girl - Destiny
19. Orange Caramel - Catallena
20. T-ara - Roly-Poly
Par kluseba le 21 Mars 2020 à 20:56
Ladies and gentlemen!
Here is a playlist of my favourite new songs released in March 2020 on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7rCGEZaOeayJSmfSmdGCDh
1. Rotting Kingdom - Sculpted into Life by the Hand of Death
2. Paradise Lost - Fall from Grace
3. Conception - Waywardly Broken
4. Crematory - Rise and Fall
5. Allen / Olzon - What If I Live
6. Deep Purple - Throw My Bones
7. Ross the Boss - Denied by the Cross
8. Ambush - Yperite
9. Grave Digger - All for the Kingdom
10. Heaven Shall Burn - La résistance
Par kluseba le 20 Mars 2020 à 06:35
Ladies and gentlemen!
Here is my third and last playlist about classics from the early seventies to the first decade of the millennium. Once again, this playlist features numerous genres covering fifty completely different artists and bands that couldn't be found in the first two lists. Enjoy this dynamic retrospective and keep an open mind to discover new music in times like these. Enjoy!
1. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
2. ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man
3. Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen
4. Ramones - Pet Sematary
5. Green Day - Longview
6. Blink-182 - All the Small Things
7. The Offspring - Why Don't You Get a Job?
8. NoFX - Vanilla Sex
9. Avril Lavigne - Complicated
10. Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar on Me
11. No Doubt - Don't Speak
12. Van Halen - Jump
13. Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
14. Aerosmith - Dream On
15. Carly Simon - You're So Vain
16. a-ha - Take on Me
17. Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky
18. Madonna - Like a Virgin
19. Spider Murphy Gang - Skandal im Sperrberzirk
20. Geier Sturzflug - Die pure Lust am Leben
21. Udo Lindenberg & das Panik-Orchester - Sonderzug nach Pankow
22. Nena - 99 Luftballons
23. Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung - Burli
24. Klaus Lage Band - 1000 und 1 Nacht
25. Witt & Heppner - Die Flut
26. Falco - Out of the Dark
27. Chicago - Questions 67 & 68
28. Yes - Machine Messiah
29. Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper
30. The Doors - Light My Fire
31. Don McLean - American Pie
32. Oasis - Wonderwall
33. Run D.M.C. - Walk This Way
34. Beastie Boys - Fight for Your Right
35. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
36. Dr. Dre - I Need a Doctor
37. OutKast - Ms. Jackson
38. Jay-Z - 99 Problems
39. Eminem - Like Toy Soldiers
40. Booba - Écoute bien
41. Sido - Mein Block
42. System of a Down - Toxicity
43. Die Arzte - Schrei nach Liebe
44. Die toten Hosen - Hier kommt Alex
45. Wizo - Kopfschuss
46. Muse - Knights of Cydonia
47. Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
48. KISS - I Was Made for Lovin' You
49. Ben E. King - Stand by Me
50. Pink Floyd - Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
Par kluseba le 19 Mars 2020 à 20:25
Ladies and gentlemen!
The time has come to introduce you to another playlist of mine. I have created this one with a Halloween party on my mind but it could be used for any other gloomy circumstances. Despite the dark mood, the playlist is particularly diversified and includes classical music, country, folk, hip-hop, metal, pop and rock music. I think the mixture is quite balanced. Give it a try!
1. John Carpenter - Halloween Theme
2. Helloween - Halloween
3. Queen - Killer Queen
4. Idle Hands - A Single Solemn Rose
5. The 69 Eyes - Cheyenna
6. Blink-182 - I Miss You
7. The Cranberries - Zombies
8. Mecano - Hijo de la luna
9. Goblin - Suspiria
10. Oomph! - Augen auf!
11. ASP - Ich will brennen
12. Mono Inc. - Voices of Doom
13. Alice Cooper - Poison
14. Ramones - Pet Sematary
15. Good Charlotte - Predictable
16. Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare
17. Ray Parker Junior - Ghosybusters
18. Michael Jackson - Thriller
19. Sisters of Mercy - This Corrosion
20. Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper
21. The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin
22. Billy Idol - Eyes Without a Face
23. The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil
24. Iron Butterfly - In-a-Gadda-da-Vida
25. King Diamond - The Candle
26. Ozzy Osbourne - Under the Graveyard
27. Necronomidol - Psychopomp
28. The Citizens of Halloween - This Is Halloween
29. Marilyn Manson - The Nobodies
30. Puddle of Mudd - Psycho
31. Rob Zombie - Dragula
32. Eminem feat. Rihanna - The Monster
33. Evanescence - Bring Me to Life
34. Apocalyptica featuring Ville Valo & Lauri Ylonen - Bittersweet
35. Tiamat - Winter Dawn
36. The Vision Bleak - The Night of the Living Dead
37. Ghost - Square Hammer
38. HIM - Join Me in Death
39. Sentenced - Ever-Frost
40. Placebo - The Bitter End
41. London Music Works - Main Theme from Phantasm
42. Louis Armstrong - Jeepers Creepers
43. Bloodsucking Zombies from Outer Space - A Deeper Shade of Red
44. Stan Jones - Riders in the Sky
45. Chris Isaac - Wicked Game
46. Julee Cruise - Falling
47. Moonspell - Extinct
48. Slayer - Raining Blood
49. Metallica - Enter Sandman
50. The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Time Warp
Suivre le flux RSS des articles de cette rubrique